The Furniture Society values community building, collaboration, and creativity found in and around the art and act of furniture making. We believe there is purpose beyond making for the marketplace and our Craft for a Greater Good program serves as an effective vehicle for supporting students poised at this point in their life and career towards the pursuit of making, designing, and building with deep intention.
Craft for a Greater Good (CGG) is an initiative designed to connect with and serve our annual conference cities through partnerships and the creation of impactful, location specific projects. The Furniture Society will engage people through the creative problem-solving process of furniture making. This will position craft and design as tools of empowerment and universal connection.
It is with excitement that the Furniture Society extends an invitation to you and your students for involvement in our 2022 national conference Working Together taking place in Asheville, NC June 8 – 12. Service, community, and cultural exchange are at the core of our programming and we look forward to recognizing and involving the students in your program through a panel discussion and exhibition of work completed through the CGG mission. We understand the financial cost of traveling and attending conferences can be prohibitive. The Furniture Society will show our commitment to securing your involvement by offering assistantships opportunities that could defray costs.
With the involvement from your program leading up to and during our annual conference, we intend to reach the following initiatives:
● Inspire young people to work with their hands, engage in creative problem solving, and understand the value of making.
● Exemplify what our field has to offer, broadening engagement with our members.
● Help identify and meet a need within the community.
● Co-create work with lasting social benefit and impact.
● Expand our membership.
● Position our annual gatherings as more than just a single moment in time, but rather as an ongoing platform for dialogue and action.
● Allow our members, who carry a vast amount of knowledge, to pass on skill sets to the next generation.
We hope you will join us this summer! Please reach out to CGG Resident Fellow Ellie Richards with any questions or ideas about how we can work together!