The Vice President of Production Realization will oversee multiple fabrication and innovation spaces, expanding the team of experts bringing hardware products into the world. This role has a strategic focus, and includes infrastructure oversight.
Vice President of Production Realization
Newlab applies transformative technology to things that matter. We are home to over 800
entrepreneurs, engineers, and inventors, solving the world’s biggest challenges with leaders and
experts across industries and cities. We support a range of frontier technologies, including
robotics, A.I., computer vision, connected systems, and materials science.
Newlab is seeking a Vice President of Production Realization to expand our team of experts for
bringing hardware products into the world. This role will report to the Chief Operating Officer and
focus on strategic implementation and leadership for the infrastructure and product realization efforts
of Newlab. The ideal candidate is passionate about supporting innovation, always learning new
fabrication skills and techniques, and is committed to creating machine spaces where all members feel
invited and empowered to leverage the tools.
● Create an inclusive culture of creativity, learning, and safety.
○ Oversee the LMS (learning management system) across dozens of courses, hundreds of
learners, and multiple training sites.
○ Build a shop culture that centers safe machine use, supports an empowering learning
environment, and demonstrates world class innovation and exploration.
○ Lead and mentor Product Realization management teams to grow their own skills in
product realization facilitation
● Create a global community focused on product realization across multiple sites
○ Establish member support strategy across Brooklyn and Detroit locations with eye
toward scalable processes for expansion in other facilities
○ Manage high profile and high value external workshop relationships: sponsors,
partnerships, media, collaborators, etc.
○ Manage Product Realization team in creating tools to support the shop user
● Oversee shop operations to provide a consistent experience for the team and the members.
○ Works with COO to create and manage the annual shops budget across locations.
Actively seeks opportunities to minimize costs.
○ Evaluate proposals for equipment changes and acquisitions from the Product
○ Establish strategy for tool inventory and maintenance.
○ Balance demands on workshop space and staff between: events, trainings, tours,
prototyping sprints, and maintenance.
Qualifications and Skills
● Work History
○ At least 10 years of experience in a product development environment with increasing
levels of responsibility, including direct people management of distributed teams.
○ Hands on expertise in many of the shop areas, experience or familiarity with all of them:
■ Wood, Metal (machining, welding, sheet metal), CNC, Metrology, Casting,
Finishing, Electronics, Rapid Prototyping, 3D Printing, Textiles, and Robotics
■ Experience with physical prototyping, digital design, design for manufacturing, or
other production related processes.
○ Public Speaking experience, comfort with developing presentations, speaking at events,
acting as an ambassador of the workshops.
● Work Style
○ Highly effective communicator and collaborative leader.
○ Embrace flexibility and adaptability as the team learns through prototyping and
playtesting, adjusting project plans as needed.
○ Translate high level scope/vision into actionable plans.
○ Demonstrates a desire to constantly improve and adapt to new technologies.
○ Is highly dependable with strong work ethic.
Nice to haves
● Deep familiarity with spaces that support physical prototyping, research, and innovation.
● Experience with the operations of shared-equipment and machine training programs.
● CAD/CAM leveraging autodesk.
● Understanding of automotive components and systems.
● Familiarity with GD&T, detailed engineering drawings, assembly instructions, and electrical
● Knowledge of Manufacturing Quality principles and practices and how they apply to prototype
Compensation / Perks etc specific to this role
● Target Salary for Role — $120 – 140k
● Equity and cash bonus programs
● Generous PTO and company holiday calendar
Send applications to: Alisyn Malek, General Manager of Newlab Detroit, firstname.lastname@example.org