VISITING ASSISTANT PROFESSOR: Woods at Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
The Department of Art and Visual Culture (AVC) in the College of Design at Iowa State University is seeking a Visiting Assistant Professor in Wood and Furniture Design. This position is a full-time (B‑base, 9 month) appointment starting 8/15/2022, with possibility of extension.
Qualified candidates will bring an in-depth knowledge of the area of wood and furniture design, including contemporary and traditional techniques and practices. Special attention will be given to candidates who bring both technical and critical knowledge into their teaching and creative work. Candidates with hybrid- and ecologically and socially responsible practices are encouraged to apply.
• Teach 5 courses per year that could include: beginning through advanced-level courses in woods, furniture design, and special topics.
• Administering and maintaining the woods studio and related equipment
• Maintain an active research and creative practice
Required Minimum Qualifications:
• Master of Fine Arts degree (MFA)
• Knowledge of contemporary and traditional practices in woodworking and wood design
• Experience in furniture design and fabrication
• Portfolio with evidence of critical approaches to woods-based craft
• Evidence of successful college-level teaching experience
• Experience in sustainable and environmentally responsible design
• Experience maintaining a woods studio and related equipment
• Demonstrated evidence of professional accomplishment
• Evidence of successful college-level teaching experience beyond graduate assistantship
Department/Program & College Description:
Within the College of Design, we pride ourselves on our collaborative, creative, and diverse stance to enrollment, hiring, and educational experiences. Within our seven departments, each day we strive to fulfill the goals of our shared governance through our strategic plan. The College of Design is dedicated to all forms of diversity and inclusion, and committed to the expanded role of design as an agent of change in society.
Our mission is to educate students to become successful designers, planners, artists, scholars and citizens who improve the quality of life, enhance human experience and advance environmental sustainability; and to serve as a resource for Iowa and beyond through research, creative endeavors, extension and outreach.
We value innovation, curiosity, collaboration, open exchange of ideas, diverse perspectives, and environmental and social responsibility.
Our vision is for College of Design faculty, staff, students, and alumni to increasingly be known for their ability to lead interdisciplinary processes and draw upon their disciplinary expertise to generate informed, innovative responses to challenges and opportunities.
To apply for this position, please visit https://isu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.… and complete the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:
1) Resume/Curriculum Vitae
2) Letter of Application/Cover Letter
3) Contact information for 3 references
4) Statement of teaching philosophy
5) Link to online portfolio of your creative work (title, date, media)
6) A pdf portfolio of 20 labeled images of work by your students (title, date, media)
Dr. Sarah Kyle, Professor and Chair, Department of Art and Visual Culture, Room 146, College of Design, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011 – 3092.
If you have questions regarding this vacancy, please email Sarah Kyle, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515 – 294-8883. If you have questions regarding this application process, please email email@example.com or call 515 – 294-4800 or Toll Free: 1 – 877-477‑7485