Director of Production Realization will run the Workshop team and facilities in Detroit, focused on bringing hardware products into the world. This person will be critical in establishing the Detroit shops as preeminent innovation & fabrication shops
Director of Production Realization
Newlab applies transformative technology to things that matter. We are home to over 800
entrepreneurs, engineers, and inventors, solving the world’s biggest challenges with leaders and
experts across industries and cities. We support a range of frontier technologies, including
robotics, A.I., computer vision, connected systems, and materials science.
Newlab is seeking a Director of Production Realization to run our team and facilities in Detroit focused
on bringing hardware products into the world. This person will report to the VP of Product Realization
and support the Managing Director of Newlab Detroit in establishing the Detroit shops as a preeminent
facility in the region. This person is passionate about supporting innovation, always learning new
fabrication skills and techniques, and is committed to creating machine spaces where all members
feel invited and empowered to leverage the tools
● Create an inclusive culture of creativity, learning, and safety.
○ Implement Learning Management System
■ Design high level onboarding classes (typically tool or concept specific), as well
as new classes as needed based on intended curriculum and implementation.
■ Balance instruction time for staff, oversee consistency and quality of teaching
○ Lead weekly Product Realization team meetings, mentor apprentices, create skill
development plans for associates covering hard and soft skills
● Support Newlab community in product realization at Newlab Detroit
○ Create tools to support the shop user community with advice, answers, technical
suggestions, and other expertise for fabrication and prototyping.
○ Work with the Member community to answer questions, provide “informal
mentorship”, convey policy, and assist with coordination.
● Ability to support members in the workshop 1:1 when necessary.
● Build regional relationships and partnerships with peer shops, suppliers, and vendors
to support prototyping process and materials outside the Newlab workshops, as part
of the Detroit fabrication ecosystem.
● CAM programming, or designing for fabrication, for both the Newlab Member
community and facility upgrade projects.
● Oversee Detroit Shops Operations
○ Manage the strategy and budget for the Detroit shops.
○ Work with VP of Product Realization to create and manage the annual
shop budget for Detroit. Actively seeks opportunities to minimize costs.
○ Routinely propose improvements to workflow, equipment layout, machine
catalog, etc to continually pair the space to members requests and
○ Implement and project manage facilities upgrades based on strategic
improvements, including fabrication.
○ Maintain systems on a day to day basis.
■ Maintain fabrication shop safety systems, including: chemical inventories,
LOTO hardware, routine maintenance, incident reports and response, fire
safety trainings, forklift licensing, etc.
■ Develop robust system for tracking and assigning routine machine
■ Coordinate with various Newlab teams to prepare the workshops for special
programs, events, courses, tours, etc.
Qualifications and Skills
● Work History
○ At least 5 years of experience on a product engineering or development team, doing
hands-on research, or in manufacturing environment with increasing levels of
○ Hands on expertise in many of the shop areas, experience or familiarity with all of them:
■ Wood, Metal (machining, welding, sheetmetal), CNC, Metrology, Casting, Finishing,
Electronics, Rapid Prototyping, 3D Printing, Textiles, and Robotics
■ Experience with physical prototyping, digital design, design for manufacturing, or
other production related processes.
■ Digital design: CAD and CAM fluency for various machine operations (CNC milling,
CNC routing, cutting, turning, etc) with a preference for expertise in Autodesk
■ Familiarity with the best applications and safety concerns of a wide range of
prototyping materials, including: plastics, metals, engineered and solid woods,
○ Training development and implementation:
■ Ability to teach machine training courses across all of the workshop areas.
■ Ability to develop curriculum and training instruction for all new or adapted pieces
● Work Style
○ Highly effective communicator and collaborative leader.
○ Embrace flexibility and adaptability as the team learns through prototyping and
playtesting, adjusting project plans as needed.
○ Translate high level scope/vision into actionable plans.
○ Demonstrates a desire to constantly improve and adapt to new technologies.
○ Is highly dependable with strong work ethic.
Nice to haves
● Deep familiarity with spaces that support physical prototyping, research, and innovation.
● Experience with the operations of shared-equipment and machine training programs.
● CAD/CAM leveraging autodesk.
● Understanding of automotive components and systems.
● Familiarity with GD&T, detailed engineering drawings, assembly instructions, and electrical
● Knowledge of Manufacturing Quality principles and practices and how they apply to prototype
Compensation / Perks etc specific to this role
● Target Salary for Role — $70 – 90k
● Equity and cash bonus programs
● Generous PTO and company holiday calendar
Send applications to: Alisyn Malek, General Manager of Newlab Detroit, firstname.lastname@example.org