Port Townsend School of Woodworking (PTSW)
Job Title:Shop Manager
Reports To: Executive Director
The Shop Manager is responsible for classroom prep and resets, shop maintenance, shop
supplies, and the prep and reset volunteer program at PTSW. This work includes coordination
with visiting instructors and PTSW faculty for course logistics, equipment, and materials needs.
This role supervises and manages the volunteer program organized around classroom resets
and prep work. This position is part of the PTSW Programs Team (Executive Director, Teaching
Assistants, and Shop Manager) which regularly meets to coordinate work.
This position will require weekend and evening work depending on the programming
● Relevant woodworking experience
● Clear, consistent and respectful communicator
● High level of patience
● Strong organizational skills
● A commitment to anti racist and inclusive practice
Responsibilities and Duties:
● Ensures an excellent student experience at the school consistent with the values of
● Complies with employee expectations articulate in the PTSW Employee Handbook
Course Planning and Preparation:
● Working with the Executive Director, the Shop Manager will coordinate shop needs
(tooling, materials, and set up) for all PTSW courses. This work will involve
communicating with PTSW Faculty and PTSW Visiting Instructors.
● The Shop Manager will be responsible for coordinating and implementing all the prep
and set up for all PTSW courses.
● The Shop Manager will be responsible for ordering and purchasing all materials,
equipment, and supplies for PTSW courses.
● The Shop Manager will be responsible for the maintenance of all the tools in the PTSW
shops and will be the go to person for troubleshooting and facility emergencies.
● The Shop Manager will coordinate with PTSW Faculty and Visiting Instructors on
facilities needs and systems to optimize programming spaces and equipment
● The Shop Manager will implement and oversee a new volunteer program at PTSW
oriented around classroom resets and course prep work
● Approximately .75 FTE or three to four days a week on average
● Health, dental, and vision insurance
● Personal Time Off (PTO) accrual of 3.34 hours for every 40 hours worked in accordance
with the PTSW Employee Handbook
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Executive Director Heron Scott
(email@example.com). We will be reviewing applications and scheduling interviews
beginning on February 1st, 2022. Applications after February 1st will still be considered.