One-week immersive class of applicant’s choice.
What Is Covered
Room & board
Travel stipend of up to $500 to defray travel costs..
Recipient covers materials and shop fees for the workshop selected.
Designed to expand the intersection between furniture making and other craft media (i.e.fiber/upholstery, metals, etc.). Goal is to provide the ability to explore new materials and modes of making to incorporate into applicant’s furniture practice and to create new connections with makers from other craft mediums
Recipient chooses any class from 2019 lineup — regardless of medium.
General Application Details
- Only serious applicants should apply and those who can take on the financial and time commitment required.
- The Furniture Society will select the scholarship recipient through a juried process.
- Grant Recipients will be notified by email on or before March 15th, 2019, and will have two weeks to accept the grant.
- Grant Recipients will be expected to submit a written report to the Furniture Society no later than December 31st, 2019, detailing their use of the Educational Grant and the impact it had on their career and/or the field of furniture. Reports must include images and a short narrative that might be used to promote the Educational Grant program and the mission of The Furniture Society.
- All applicants must be currently enrolled members of The Furniture Society to apply and take part in any of the Scholarship opportunities. Become a MEMBER.
- Applicants may not have received a grant or scholarship from The Furniture Society in 2018.
- Participants must be 18 years of age or older.
- You must submit a separate application if you are applying to be considered for more than one scholarship.
- Applications will be accepted starting January 9, 2019
- Deadline for all submissions: March 8, 2019
- Recipients will be notified in writing by March 15, 2019.
- Applicant must accept no later than March 29, 2019
Where applicable, classes will be selected after recipient has been chosen.
Each application must include
Please include the following in your email application:
- NAME OF SCHOLARSHIP APPLYING FOR (You MUST indicate which Scholarship you are applying for or your application will not be considered)
- Name (First, Last)
- Contact information
- Brief description of how this particular Scholarship opportunity will advance and/or enhance your career (100 – 150 words)
- 3 – 5 images of current works, a link to your Furniture Society Profile Page on the FS Website, or your personal website. All images should meet the following criteria:
- File size: maximum 500KB
- Dimensions: maximum 800 x 800 pixels
- File type: JPG
- If you are applying for the Arrowmont Writers’ Residency, please submit three writing samples that give the jury a sense of your writing style. This may be included as attachments or links to work online.
Submit all application materials via email to email@example.com with your last name and the name of the scholarship in the email subject.
Deadline to submit: March 8 — 12am (midnight) PST
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org (use FS Educational Grants Question in the subject line).