FS20: Building Place, Shaping Identity, Creating Community
Location Partners: UNC Asheville and STEAM Studio in beautiful Asheville, NC
Dates: June 17 – 20, 2020
Fundamentally, furniture exists to ready a space for occupancy or use. Its mere presence can signal the purpose of a space or invite a particular action. Its material, form, and surface design reveals a lot about how it is meant to be used, who made it, as well as provide a connection with the past, a culture, or idea. Recognizing the essential role that furniture fulfills in daily life and in society-at-large, the field of furniture wields tremendous potential to have a positive impact worldwide. This year’s conference is centered around how furniture can be used to foster communities, locally and globally, as well as strengthen the community of furniture making by recognizing a diverse selection of perspectives, cultural backgrounds, and ideas.
- How can the field address important issues that affect different communities and invite public engagement?
- What are the challenges that the field faces in terms of its inclusivity, growth, and stability?
- How is furniture used to embody the identity of a maker, the user, and/or the larger community?
- What are the ways in which furniture can promote a sense of belonging and fellowship?
- In answering these questions, we welcome proposals that reference different media, time periods, cultures, and a range of aesthetic, social, and intellectual considerations.
Do you want to be a part of the conversation at our upcoming conference in Asheville? Submit your presentation proposals for our upcoming conference by filling out the form below by January 13, midnight EST.
- Programming at the FS20 conference will offer multiple perspectives blending artist presentations with contemporary topics relevant to the studio furniture community. Additionally, we will host demonstrations and hands-on workshops at the conference venue. Presentations will range from technique-driven topics, highlight individual practices, and feature historical, contemporary, and emerging makers important to the studio furniture field.
- The planning committee is primarily interested in solo presentations and workshops that expand on the conference theme.
- A small speaker stipend and conference pass will be provided for those presentations selected by the selection committee.
- Presentation selections will be made by end of February 2020. Notifications by early March 2020.