Programs like the affinity groups and series like the FS Connects sessions have shown just how powerful we can be when we intentionally create inclusive and dynamic programming. I look forward to welcoming even more members into our amazing community, and sharing the limitless potential of what we can create when we work together.
-Katie Thompson, artist, author, TFS Board Member
Dear Friends of Furniture,
As I reflect on how far we’ve come as an organization in the past two years, I am struck by the fact that we would not be where we are today had we not come together in an effort to make a difference. As Charles Eames so aptly said, “The connections, the connections, the connections. It will in the end be these details that give the product its life”. While he was speaking about products, in effect, it is an essential truth that connection indeed makes whatever we work towards stronger, better, more relevant, and more durable.
A year ago, we were all facing new ways of working and engaging with the world around us. Recognizing the need to, once again, pause all in-person programming, The Furniture Society seized the opportunity to serve our community in new and different ways.
But we didn’t do this alone. By working together through partnerships, collaborations, and community participation, The Furniture Society has been able to create meaningful programs and opportunities for our audiences, our members, and the field.
By working together:
- we served others through Craft For a Greater Good in the community of Asheville. We continued for the second year, building furniture for the tiny home village created by our community partners at BeLoved Asheville. This work is ongoing today and will continue through the next year.
- we inspired and engaged our growing community through FS Connects, our new online programming series. FS Connects offers an inspiring series of programs as a place to learn and engage with a diverse community of makers.
- we paid tribute to the leaders in our field through our Award of Distinction. We launched ‘In Their Words: Conversations with Award of Distinction recipients’, interviews exploring their careers, how they see the future of the furniture field, and the importance of mentoring young makers.
- we celebrated YOU, our amazing maker-members through our newsletter, website, and online programs
- we offered opportunities to grow as makers through grant and scholarship opportunities. Our five partner organizations have generously made these opportunities possible.
- we created community through our new affinity groups for Women of Woodworking, students, and educate
The power of working together has given us a renewed sense of pride in our organization because we made the effort and changes together.
Please join our efforts in building and serving this community by making a tax-deductible contribution to TFS before December 31. There are other ways you can help this organization. You can volunteer.
Volunteerism is good for everyone. Volunteers report a sense of well-being and pride. To support TFS in this way, please email us directly.
These programs and efforts are only made possible through the support of people like you. When we live our values, we can transform our field and advance new ideas!
Wishing you and yours a healthy and happy holiday season.
The Furniture Society
To make a contribution:
Scan this QR Code:
Donate online: furnsoc.org/about/2021-annual-appeal
Send a check made payable to:
The Furniture Society
536 17th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11215