2015 has been great for The Furniture Society. Here is a taste of the things we’ve done this year:
- Our membership is up 50% since January.
- In February we offered financial support to several members as part of our Scholarships and Grants program.
- We spent much of the spring working on Rooted, our latest publication from Schiffer Publishing. What a lovely and insightful book!
- May found us strutting our stuff at the International Contemporary Furniture Fair (ICFF) in New York City. With the help of Powermatic, we featured the work of 10 members, one of whom went home with a Powermatic bandsaw after the public voted for the People’s Choice Award!
- In June we hosted a symposium at our new headquarters in Durham, North Carolina. In conjunction with the symposium, we hosted a fabulous exhibition throughout the summer titled HOME, organized by curators Susie J. Silbert and Anna Walker.
- In July we went to Vegas, baby, and it was hot hot hot! The AWFS show was a huge success. We signed up new members, built partnerships with other organizations and vendors, and granted student membership to participants of the vibrant Fresh Wood Competition.
- This September, 8 of our members spoke about their work at Rooted launch event at Potterton Books in NYC.
- We were at WestEdge in October. We turned heads in the Los Angeles area and caught the attention of interior designers and other professionals in the furniture design world.
- And in November, we just finished up at SOFA Chicago bringing the good word of furniture to friends, collectors, and colleagues. We had an excellent board meeting and a very successful regional event where we raffled off a chair by Forest Dickey!
Help us do more next year - donate today!