News is a place to check in and see what's happening within The Furniture Society. We post updates here for members and the public to let you all know what we're doing!
Furniture Society member and former Board of Trustee member, Vivian Beer, has won Ellen’s Design Challenge. We are so proud that one of our own has made a wave in the large arena of HGTV and the furniture design world. (more…)
Dear Furniture Society Member,
As this year comes to a close, we’re reaching out for support.
As a member of the Furniture Society, you are a steward of excellence, refinement, responsibility and craftsmanship in furniture making. Together, we nurture education and community, create meaningful opportunities and resources for our members, and advocate for the importance of fine furniture.
This article, written by Furniture Society Board of Trustees President Steffi Dotson, was reprinted with permission from the Journal of Green Building.
2015 has been great for The Furniture Society. Here is a taste of the things we’ve done this year:
- Our membership is up 50% since January.
- In February we offered financial support to several members as part of our Scholarships and Grants program.
- We spent much of the spring working on Rooted, our latest publication from Schiffer Publishing. What a lovely and insightful book!
- May found us strutting our stuff at the International Contemporary Furniture Fair (ICFF) in New York City. With the help of Powermatic, we featured the work of 10 members, one of whom went home with a Powermatic bandsaw after the public voted for the People’s Choice Award!
- In June we hosted a symposium at our new headquarters in Durham, North Carolina. In conjunction with the symposium, we hosted a fabulous exhibition throughout the summer titled HOME, organized by curators Susie J. Silbert and Anna Walker.
- In July we went to Vegas, baby, and it was hot hot hot! The AWFS show was a huge success. We signed up new members, built partnerships with other organizations and vendors, and granted student membership to participants of the vibrant Fresh Wood Competition.
- This September, 8 of our members spoke about their work at Rooted launch event at Potterton Books in NYC.
- We were at WestEdge in October. We turned heads in the Los Angeles area and caught the attention of interior designers and other professionals in the furniture design world.
- And in November, we just finished up at SOFA Chicago bringing the good word of furniture to friends, collectors, and colleagues. We had an excellent board meeting and a very successful regional event where we raffled off a chair by Forest Dickey!
Help us do more next year - donate today!
The Furniture Society is proud to help promote the following exhibition at the MAD Museum in NYC. Wendell Castle is a 2001 Award of Distinction honoree, and we're ecstatic to share his continued accomplishments:
Schiffer Publishing, Ltd., in conjunction with The Furniture Society and Potterton Books, is pleased to announce the release of Rooted: Creating a Sense of Place: Contemporary Studio Furniture during What's New What's Next (#WNWN), taking place at the New York Design Center (200 Lexington Ave. NY, 10016) on Thursday, September 17, from 2–9PM.
On behalf of all Furniture Society members as well as the board of trustees, we send our sincere condolences to John's family and those dear to him.